Friday, October 17, 2008

Setting up and First Observations of the MicroAquarium

I started setting up my term project of a MicroAquarium with pond water from bowl 1. I then added green plants and moss to the micro ecosystem. I observed many nemotodes moving about in the aquarium and I also observed a small worm that I have nicknamed Squishy swimming frantically around the aquarium. There were many single celled bacteria in the aquarium that were in constant random motion. In addition, there was also a nemotode that was either interacting with the environment or it was just trying to get through the debris in the aquarium. There were stationary plants and moss in the middle of the aquarium and they are photosynthetic unlike the other organisms in the environment. Most of the organisms showed a preference towards the bottom except for Squishy who just moves everywhere and the plants who stayed in the middle of the aquarium. This is what I observed initially in my MicroAquarium.

No comments: